Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Adding a little comfort...

After spending a week and a half working on nothing but flowers, I had a lot of catching up to do. Soooo, the second week of nothing on the blog was spent tackling the Mt Everest sized pile of laundry that accumulated, the huge mess of a kitchen and living room and getting caught up on my projects for the blog. I will confess that I did take one day and did absolutely nothing. Things have calmed down now and I can get back in to a nice little routine, which is extra nice considering the holidays are here! This is my favorite time of year. Personally, I only really go all out on decorating the house for Christmas, but I do like a few fall accents here and there.

What I especially love is simple accents that I can make and not have to spend a ton of money. One such is throw pillows They are always a quick a way to accessorize a room. My issue with throw pillows is the cost and space. Have you looked at the cost of pillows lately? Especially the really pretty ones that make you stop and say "oooooh!" Then there is the size of them. By themselves, they aren't too bad. But what if you want to use them to decorate for the season or just change them for a new look? What do you do with all the old pillows? 

Easy answer? PILLOW FORMS!!! I love pillow forms. For those not in the know, they are plain white, pre-stuffed pillows that you can find in fabric and craft stores. The reason I love them: You buy the pillows once, change the covers to change the look of a room. Minimal sewing experience needed. Covers can be as simple or elaborate as you choose. This week, I'm going to show a few ideas for covers that can be made at home and will focus more on the seasonal decor than everyday use.




First up is my Give Thanks pillow cover for an 18" square pillow form. I found the autumn leaf material a long time ago as a remnant and it has been patiently waiting in my stash to be used. For the front I used a strip of a fat quarter, stenciled on the "Thanks" with fabric paint and free-handed "Give" and the letter outlines with dimensional (puffy) paint. Super simple and super cheap. And SUPER CUTE! 

It would easy to make multiple sizes with the same material or coordinating fabric. The possibilities are many and the only thing that took a lot of time about this cover was letting the paint dry (overnight for each paint). Hopefully this has given you some ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment