Thursday, July 30, 2009

Scrapbook or Journal?


When I was young, there was really only two options for what I could do with photographs: 1) Stick them in a shoebox to keep them safe or 2) Put them into a photo album, which was usually the kind with adhesive and clean plastic covering. Now that I'm older, I know that those old albums are the not best place to store my memories simply because once the picture has been in there a while, it's impossible to get it out.

Scrapbooking and I just don't get along. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous scrapbook pages that showcase a genuine artistic talent. However, I still believe that a scrapbook should be a photo album and I just can't bring myself to spend hours designing a page with $50 worth of embellishments for just one picture. It won't tell the whole story attached to that memory.

Lately, I've found myself leaning toward journaling, which is almost a hybrid scrapbook. Combining the artistry of scrapbook with a little storytelling, the journal saves the complete memory in both images and words.

Showcased above are some simple journaling pages I created for a recent family trip to Craters of the Moon here in Idaho. In mirroring 8"x10" sheets of paper, I was able to place several pictures taken at the park with pictures of the family and a little written reminder of what I loved about the day. I used mostly scrap papers, left over from other projects and was able to whip the pages together in about a half hour. Simple and fast - two things I love in a project!

Happy Crafting All!

No comments:

Post a Comment