Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wire Wrapped Ring



I have always been fascinated with the beauty of wire wrapped jewelry. There is so much skill and artistry that goes into making each piece. One thing I love is the wire tends to have a life of it's own and you can never make the same exact piece twice.

This fascination and my desire to constantly learn new techniques in jewelry making, has inspired me to try my hand at wire wrapped rings. Above is my very first attempt. It's really not very good, but it is simple and wearable. I used half hard 24 gauge sterling silver wire, not the best choice for learning, but that is what I happened to have on hand. The dark green stone (which I think is bloodstone) is accented with simple glass seed beads.

Again, not very fancy, but it looks like a ring which is good. It's always important that your first attempt at something at least somewhat resemble what you were trying to make! I have ordered some less expensive copper wire to practice some new techniques on and can't wait to start experimenting. Hopefully this will inspire some of you to try something new as well!

Happy Crafting All!

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!!! I tried a few rings, but like you I don't think I had the best wire for what I was doing. I'm hoping to be able to do some more when I have the time and better wire. Can't wait to see what others you make!

    ReplyDelete