Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Shining Quilt

It is roughly 85 days till Christmas. I can't believe it is October already! Everyone here has been so busy that I have no idea where this year has gone. I know I might be jumping the gun a little bringing up Christmas, but I needed to get an early start. (Hey, it's not like I have decorations up or anything! That happens after Thanksgiving!)

We are a single income family and my hubby just changed careers, so Christmas might be very lean this year if I didn't start thinking about it now. It's not that we have extravagant gifts or even mountains of them every year, but we have a large family. Even just getting one thing per person can get pricey - so I started early, picking up one gift here and there and deciding on what I would make for everyone.  And there will be a lot of handmade. The goal was to spread the expense over as many months as I could rather than try to come up with a lot of money and time in December. I don't know about you, but none of my bills can be put off in December, they still have to be paid regardless of the holiday.

So, this is the first hand made gift I've completed of the year. I showed you one block a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to a week of sewing like crazy, I have it finished! YAY! One down, only about four more quilts to finish! The recipient collects lighthouses and loves the coast, so I embroidered lighthouses on blocks and chose warm beachy browns and cool blues.

 

Getting those blocks framed and set was a pain, but worth it for the overall quilt. I finished it with some basic (crooked) straight line quilting. I don't know that I will do another one like this, layout at least, until I've forgotten how much a pain this was!

No comments:

Post a Comment