Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Back To My Resin Basics

My good friend Jess, from Heart's Desire by Jess, is curious about working with resin. She has been looking at the results of all my work and it has piqued her interest. I told her that I started with resined tile boards, and she wasn't sure what they were. This didn't surprise me in the least, because not many people know what they are - unless they make them.

Tile boards are wonderful things. They are designed to give the illusion of ceramic tiles using prints, photographs or even scrapbook embellishments. Below are two tile boards I made last week to show Jess how they look when they are done. I used photographs from my great-grandmother's photo album - they are circa about 1918. The top is the Portal To The Past located in Golden Gate park, which is still there. The bottom image is of the walkway to a huge rock just outside Sutro's Baths, next to the Cliff House in San Francisco. (I want to say it is Seal Rock, but I know that is wrong.) I love the steamship in the background making it's way toward the mouth of the Golden Gate - before the bridge was there!

The pictures were printed on matte photo paper, which you can't tell with the beautiful high gloss finish the resin gives the piece. This is a super simple project that I would recommend to anyone who has never worked with resin before. It gives you an idea what to expect when mixing and pouring the resin.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Happy Crafting!








No comments:

Post a Comment